The Fashion Studies Program at Santa Rosa Junior College offers instruction and Associate Degree Majors in the areas of Apparel Design and Production; Custom Clothing and Alterations; and Fashion Merchandising. Many manufacturers throughout California are looking for people with training in the design and technical aspects of clothing production. California designs and produces approximately 18 percent of the nation's apparel and significant growth is predicted for the future.
OUR PROGRAM OFFERS STUDENTS
- Creative opportunities to transform design ideas into fashion reality
- A faculty that nurtures creativity while teaching hands-on skills using traditional tools as well as equipment similar to that found in the industry
- Basic skills in sewing, tailoring, flat pattern, and draping that provide a solid foundation in the fundamentals of apparel engineering
- Advanced skills that emphasize the principles and techniques essential for design, production, and merchandising careers
- Preparation for entry-level positions such as Junior Designers and Pattern-Makers, Pattern-Graders and Marker-Makers, Costume or Wardrobe Assistant, and Fashion Stylist
- Opportunities to earn college credit working in the industry through the Work Experience and Internship programs
Click here for more information about Fashion Studies certificate program requirements.
AREAS OF STUDY
Apparel Design & Production
Designed for the student interested in a career as a designer, pattern-maker, or pattern-grader for an apparel manufacturer or their own company, this program teaches the basic principles of fashion design and production. Students will also learn to draft patterns for original designs, to grade patterns into multiple sizes, and to construct those designs in fabric.
Custom Clothing & Alterations
Designed for the student interested in a custom sewing and alteration business, you will learn advanced techniques of fitting, alterations, and pattern development, and how to set up and manage your own small business.
Designed for the student who is interested in a fashion retail career including opportunities in sales, buying, fashion consulting, fashion coordinating, and fashion display.